Wednesday, August 20, 2014

June 16th: Paris-Modernism and the Arts, then and now...



My journey to get to Paris was long and difficult. At times and moments, I thought it was nearly impossible. Yet, through good fortune, I was allowed the opportunity to take this course and finally see Paris. For years, this was my one dream. So, every second in Paris was precious to me.

From the moment I landed, the sights of Paris like the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, and the Louvre confronted me. Like every traveler, I experienced culture shock, but also cultural admiration. I was captivated by everything around me.

The course cemented these initial captivations. The performances and exhibitions challenged my thoughts on art, and extended my perceptions on modernism. Specifically, before Paris, my notion of modernism consisted of my visits to museums like the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis or the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I liked the artwork in these museums, but struggled to understand it. I was a modern art enthusiast at best. Yet, I never realized where this movement began or what it grew from. Studying the works of Picasso, Cartier Bression, and Courbet illustrated this history to me. Additionally, performances like “Parkin’son” and conversations with artists like Jacques gave me appreciation for what modernism offers to our society. This movement allows for the expression of new modes of human capability by constantly encouraging innovation. In doing so, artists always challenge the boundaries of art and further our understanding. Truly, when met with modern art, there is never a full understanding of it, but that’s the point. Through lack of understanding, viewers are forced to extend their perceptions and think beyond their scope. Only by doing this does a viewer come to understand more and more of art. Thus, modernism is a cyclic process that requires active participation from both the artist and the viewer, which is constantly transcending. 


Without my time in Paris, I would never have collected these essential experiences or come to these conclusions. This course offered me the freedom to explore new modes of art and see the world differently. No trip will ever quite compare in its impact and I cannot thank everyone enough for this dream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment