Wednesday, August 20, 2014

June 14th: The Direction of Research

Before arriving in Paris, I was set on writing my research paper on Corbusier and his architectural legacy. Yet, my experiences through lectures, site visits, and class discussions shaped a new subject for my research.

The very first class we had in Paris focused on the foundations of Modernism. Within the lecture, we looked at Modernism from different perspectives. We studied how different fields and individuals contributed to the Modernist movement through innovation and revolution. Specifically, we focused on Sigmund Freud’s rising work on psychoanalysis, Stravinsky’s Sacre du Printemps, and Picasso’s Les Demoiselles D’Avignon. Each of these examples depicted Modernism in a new perspective and emphasized the breadth of the movement. Thus, from this first lecture, I began thinking of how my research would incorporate similar themes and reflect such depth.

I searched for this depth in the streets and sites of Paris. I found energy and ideas while strolling through Luxembourg gardens, and discovering the city from the top of the Eifel tower. However, it was not until our visit to the Centre Pompidou that I finally determined my focus. During Anne Catherine’s lecture that day, we entered a room with juxtaposing pieces form Cubist and African artists. Anne Catherine shared that African and primitive works often influenced Cubists because their emotionality, but Cubists did not always understand their cultural significance. As I looked between the African works and the Cubist works in the room, I found my connection to Modernism and the new subject of my research. 

Ironically, my search for a new topic ended where our first class discussion began at Picasso’s Les Demoiselles D’Avignon. This painting stands as a centerpiece for the Cubist movement and represents the new modes of thinking at the time. Yet, the most compelling aspects of this piece are the African elements that compose it. These elements are signs of cross-cultural exploration and cultural competency. These elements were very significant and ultimately the grounds for my research on the connection between African art and Cubism. Due to the design of this course, I decided to explore my research topic through historical, anthropological, and cultural lenses in order to fully understand its depth. At times, my research was overwhelming due to this, but it led to a comprehensive analysis of my subject. 

 When writing a paper, you never end where you begin. My concept for this paper changed immensely from my original idea because this course allotted me the freedom to be inspired by subject material within my surroundings. I was not pressured by a looming due date or a structured direction. Instead, for once, I chose where my paper would go and got to explore its limitless directions.






No comments:

Post a Comment